Sunday, June 30, 2013

What is Life?

The other day I got into a discussion with a friend about life (deep, huh?).

My friend said that life is so structured and rule-bound, that it is our job as individuals to fight the rules and expectations as much as possible so we don't get pushed into conformity.

I have always thought of life as big and messy and that it's our job as individuals to find a small corner of the world in which to build an organized and ordered space for ourselves.

What do you think?  How do you see the world?  Is it one of rules that you must fight against, or is it one of infinite possibilities that you have to make sense of?

1 comment:

  1. To me it's a mass of data I can sculpt theories with. Or a mass of data in which to find patterns and discover/project meaning. And the patterns, theories, meanings seem to have an expiration date... they are true/useful for a limited time, and then I have to french braid the data all over again.

    Life is a mélange of metaphor!

    ReplyDelete