Monday, April 9, 2012

Quittin' Time

My running has become increasingly difficult.  My knee is hurting more and I'm not able to make it around my route without getting tired and stopping to walk.  I went to the doctor about my knee but I guess I wasn't satisfied with his answer (it's swollen, it's arthritis, wear a brace, get a cortisone shot), so I worry that I shouldn't be trying to run on it.  I mean to use my knees for several more years so I don't want to do anything now to ruin that plan.  I haven't had a good run for two weeks or more and I dread going out because I fear I'm going to poop out before my first mile.  I had decided that I would run the 5K I had promised my niece and then begin a walking regimen.  I thought about that every time I went out to run.

I reluctantly set out this morning and began trotting down the street.  My knee began hurting immediately.  I tried to ignore it but I began to worry that I was making it worse.  I thought about the promised 5K and became more discouraged.  I thought I would just walk the 5K to save my knee.  I started to think about telling my niece that I couldn't run a 5K with her after all.  I jogged along awkwardly for about a mile, until I got to the corner where I turn.  Then I gave up. "Fuck it," I said to myself.  I started walking.  I felt like crying.  I had been doing so well in January that I thought my new running shoes were magic.  Then it began to get harder.  Now I was a complete failure.

I began to think about all the ventures I had embarked upon in the last few years.  I had taken violin lessons for ten years and while I could play some simple tunes, I was not good enough to play without looking at sheet music and I was certainly not good enough to play in front of anyone.  Then there was my goal to learn Spanish.  I had taken all the Spanish courses offered at our community college and had even started a Spanish conversation group but my Spanish was dismal.  Then I decided to be a writer.  I wrote three novels but never tried to edit a single one; in fact I never even reread them.  There was volleyball, painting, dance classes all ending in mediocrity.  Everything I could think of that I had tried to do as an adult was a bust.  I continued walking slowly down the street along my route thinking about these failed attempts.  Now I could add running to the list.  Maybe I would never find that one thing that I was really good at.  

I thought about how I always got to a certain point and then never got any further.  What if it was because I made excuses so that I didn't have to do the extra work?  I never expected to be world class but I did expect to be better than I had ended up being.  I quit violin because I wasn't getting any better, but what if I had increased my practice time and forced myself to learn the skills that I thought were too hard?  I had downloaded hours of Spanish language practice podcasts but hadn't bothered to listen to any of them.  What if I had spent time each day practicing Spanish by reviewing notes from my classes, listening to podcasts and watching Spanish language television, or reading Spanish language books?  

Now I was thinking about my running.  Was I using my knee as an excuse to quit because it was getting too hard?  I stopped right there on the sidewalk and thought about it.  What if I made myself run even though I was tired and my knee hurt?  Was this my moment to face the hard work it might take to be able to run a 5K?  I turned and walked back to the corner where I had started walking.  Then I turned and slowly began to jog along the remainder of my route.

6 comments:

  1. I relate to the feelings of mediocrity/disappointment with the self for giving up too easily... but I worry about that knee because you really do need it for the rest of your life. What if instead of potentially injuring your knee, you instead walk the 5k and reread and edit one of the books you've written? If you exchange one goal for another you haven't failed, you've just redirected your focus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, most people I know who are your age have not tried as many new things as you in the decade of your life that you tried them. That in itself is something to be proud of. You naturally have half of what you need to stick to something new and accomplish it to a degree that satisfies you - the courage to start. That's fantastic. Now to cultivate that other half... you have a choice of really interesting subjects to revisit: violin, Spanish, writing. Awesome.

    I am talking as much to myself as I am to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Éire. You have incredible talent as well as the flexible motor skills and undiluted passion of youth. Now that's fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that it's okay to do something different if your knee bothers you that much. I'm sorry I am just now reading this. I too am impressed by all the things you've tried, and I'd love to spend time together in any way that you want! Just let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LBC, let's try to run (jog, walk, stumble) a 5k together and then I'll hang up my running shoes. It's something I've so looked forward to and it will be a nice way to end my brief running career.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not to discourage you from running, but it is a very high-impact activity that can cause a lot of damage to your body if you're not careful. It's half of how I messed up my feet. I still can't run because of them. Have you thought about taking up a lower-impact activity, such as bicycling? You get more places faster and it's much easier on your body!

    I know we've talked plenty about choosing to do things you enjoy, rather only doing things you're excellent at. But it's also a way of finding new aspects of things you always
    thought you were bad at. For example, I always thought I was awful at drawing, and sure enough, when I try to draw a person or a nature scene or anything like that, it comes out terrible! But I've finally allowed myself to try drawing enough that I've learned I'm excellent at geometric doodling. I never, ever would have come across this talent if I hadn't let myself just have fun with it.

    In other words, keep trying things, keep at new things, keep doing old things. Find things you enjoy, and maybe you won't be any good at them, but you will get better at them.

    ReplyDelete