Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Growing Pains

Okay, no one loves junior high school, with one exception.  I'll call that exception, 'Anna'.  Anna came home from seventh grade one day and said (and I am not making this up), "Mom.  I just love junior high."  But she is the exception to the rule.

Before junior high, life made sense.  I wore clean clothes, my hair was always combed (seriously, in an old photo taken while camping at Yellowstone, my hair was braided neatly and I wore a headband that matched my shirt).  We lived in a pretty blue house with a swimming pool.  We were boy scouts and girl scouts.  We went on vacation every summer.  My father worked relatively close to home and my mother was a teacher.

I was a good girl and felt sure that my teachers, neighbors, aunts, uncles and grandparents loved me. I did well in school with minimal effort and I won foot races and spelling bees.  When I got into trouble it was for mild misbehavior (tattling, not sharing, answering back).  If something or someone upset me, I could easily find an adult to give me sympathy along with a warm hug and like a Band-aid on a skinned knee, I felt better.  Life was good.

Then I entered seventh grade and everything changed.  My parents were divorced and we'd moved to a smaller house in a different neighborhood.  It was a nice house and a nice neighborhood, but it was different.  Suddenly my clothes didn't fit without the benefit of safety pins.  I was too tall and too thin to wear anything off the rack.  Mom purchased an enormous box of Wate-On and I was expected to choke down six of the dry, chalky tablets every day.  I wore braces that always seemed to have food stuck in them and I began to get pimples.

Now school didn't work the way it was supposed to work.  I understood little of what the math teacher was saying (base 12? slide rules?).  I couldn't get my locker open and was always late to class.  For the first time in my life, I had teachers who seemed annoyed with me.  Friends I had had all through elementary school were different.  They had grown up over the summer, dressing in a way that was foreign to me.  I was still wearing tennis shoes and knee socks but they were wearing kitten heels and stockings.

I had lived a charmed life and without warning, I had fallen from grace.  The contrast was stunning.  I lost confidence in myself and spent most of my time playing catch up.  In those days I blamed it on my parents' divorce, but I now I know it wasn't the divorce.  It was adolescence and I wasn't alone.

4 comments:

  1. I like the way this is written... it reminds me of the article they run in O Magazine every month called something like Lightbulb Moment or A-Ha Moment. A realization put in context with lots of details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well written, and as someone who teaches middle school, very universal. It made me want to give 12 year old Aunt Nancy a hug.

    ReplyDelete
  3. E and LBC, thanks for the compliments.
    LBC, I thought about you while writing this because I know that you are one of those sweet, kind teachers who gives unsettled kids respite from this gatchy phase of life while they're in your classroom.
    Hug a 12 year-old (well, in public and with another adult present)!

    ReplyDelete