Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Materials

"Discover your creative talent and learn techniques such as design, composition and color."  I begin my artist's life tomorrow morning at the local senior center with a class called, "Painting with Acrylics" for participants age 50+ ("If space is available, 14 - 49 year old(s) may register.").  The class is for beginners and intermediates.  I hope to sit next to a beginner, age 50+.

Today I print out the materials list for the class and drive over to Michael's.  My experience at Michael's, by the way, is that it's better to find your own items than to ask someone who works there to help you.  I stroll over to the paint aisle and find the shelf with the least expensive paints (Kevin is with me) and check my list: ACRYLIC PAINTS (YELLOW, BLUE, RED, WHITE AND BLACK).  I select cadmium yellow medium hue, cobalt blue hue, cadmium red hue, mixing white, and mars black.

Next on the list:  BRUSHES (ACRYLIC) 3 DIFFERENT SIZES and CANVAS (any size you want to work with).  I don't like choices.  I pick out three brushes that are the least expensive and a 14" x 11" canvas.  I'm beginning to regret not purchasing the paintbrush with bristles shaped like a fan (it wasn't on sale), and I think my canvas is too big.  I wonder what time Michael's opens in the morning.

I'm also supposed to bring a TABLECOVERING (3 x 3 feet), PLASTIC CONTAINER and a TOWEL OR PAPER TOWEL.  Kevin says he can bring a vinyl tablecloth home from work, and says he has a small tool box in the garage that he can let me use.  I worry that the tablecloth won't be 3 x 3 feet and hope I will have enough time to cut it before class in the morning.  I also worry that it will have red checks.  I'm hoping the small toolbox will fit my new paintbrushes which have extraordinarily long handles.

I'm nervous about my first day tomorrow morning; walking into a room full of strangers (some of whom are intermediate artists).  I think of the last line on the materials list:  DRESS COMFORTABLY AND WEAR A SMOCK OR APRON TO PROTECT YOUR CLOTHES.  I relax a bit.  The instructor wants me to be comfortable.  I think that's a good sign.

2 comments:

  1. I'm excited for you. I hope you'll post about the class so I can hear how it went!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like how all the instructions were in Caps (I assume that's how they were written on your list.) They need to not yell at you! But, the class sounds great and I bet once you're there all the little worries will go away and you'll have fun! And yes, post about it!

    ReplyDelete